CHOOSING THE RIGHT CONTRACTOR
Choosing the right contractor for a project can be a daunting task. There are many, many things to be considered before doing so. Here are a few tips:
Do your homework:
- Use social media for references if possible.
- Speak to former customers if possible.
- Ask the contractor for references. If none are provided, this is a bad sign. Ask the references if they know any former customers of the contractor.
- Research the contractors history with local government agencies.
- Contact the Better Business Bureau.
- Ask for proof of a business license, as well as license classification type.
- Ask for proof of insurance.
Quality of Work:
- Review photographs of prior projects to see the type of quality and craftsmanship of the contractor.
- If the contractor has a showroom, visit this showroom to see for yourself.
Materials to be used:
- Are any special materials to be used? If so, is the contractor well versed in the use of the material?
- Are these products or materials readily available to the contractor? What is the lead time for availability from the contractor?
- Does the contractor have a designer to assist you with these choices?
- What is the contractor’s time-frame to complete the work in a timely fashion?
- Ask other references about the contractors track record of completing work on time.
Be sure to have a contract including cost, contingencies, agreed upon exclusions, and a schedule that is agreed and signed by both you-the customer, and the contractor.